Sunday, August 01, 2004

Why do Italians not like us?? Oh yeah, we smell.

AHHH the sweet sweet streets of Italia. I LOVE THIS COUNTRY. Could you please tell me why we live in America? Our well-lit couchette arrived ontime sometime very early this morning. As early as it was, it was the perfect timing to check into a beautiful hostel and watch the citta wake up. Then as I waiting for our laundry, I sat on the stairs in front of a beautiful aged "only in Italy" type building complete with wooden shutters and vine-covered walls. The city church bells rang and I closed my eyes to became lost in the moment. The longer I am here the more I realize traveling, for me, is not about seeing all the museums and tourist sights. For me, heaven falls somewhere between the Paris cafes packed with locals and the picturesque window and balcony I find as I stroll down a foot wide cobblestone Italian street while eating gelato.

Note to mom: if I am not in the airport on the 26th, fly to Italy, search the most hidden streets and gelato stands. I'll be there.

After our laundry finished and I pinched myself long enough to realize I am alive, we strolled down to the city center for some lunch. There are three plazas in a row that boast car free streets, as many gelato vendors as one can handle, trendy Italian shopping, and best of all..foood. We stopped in a local restaurant for a sandwich. Since we are most obviously American the unpleasant waitress spoke English to us immediately. It was easy to see she did not like us. Maybe it is because we don't speak Italian. Maybe it is just because we smell soooo bad. AAHHH I love this life!!!! (for real) I walk, I sweat, I see, I don't shower. It takes too much time.

I am still convinced that biking is the best way to see a city. We rented bikes this afternoon. We were not smelly enough and we needed to sweat some more. A quick tour of the city on wheels was the perfect way to expel our energy from the gelato(times 2). If you do not buy anything I have said about Europe, if you don't believe Europe rocks, you have NOT tasted the gelato. Once again, I have no words to describe this incredible delight. If you like ice cream (who doesn't), you have to come to Italy if only to taste gelato.

I guess the time has come to shower. Yes, I am beginning to smell myself and we are going to the opera tonight so I owe it to myself. Rumor has it that this opera is a 4 hour deal....not looking like we will be around for the whole thing. Advice from the locals about the opera: Bring a pillow to sit on, Bring lots of wine and snacks. I am excited!! :)

Ciao Amici.

No comments: