Monday, August 09, 2004

ROMA!

Here I sit, in Rome. I am surprised at how much I have enjoyed this city. Maybe after my Venice experience I was a little disappointed in Italian big city life. Venice, though, turns out to be an exception to the rule. However, our first Roman experience led me to believe this city was a dud also. Upon arrival in Rome, following a smooth uneventful train ride, we found graffiti covered walls, ceilings, and floors. I have never seen as much "free artistic expression" as this city has. After we got on the metro the first time, we tried to decipher whether the graffiti was part of the decoration or if every inch was just covered in it. Even the insides of the cars had their marks from floor to ceiling.

Once we got our bearings on the city layout, we made our way to our B&B following the "escape" and "forehead" road. No one was home so we attempted to feed our growling stomachs. Note to self: Nothing is open on Sunday in Roma. We finally stumbled upon a grocery store that closed 5 minutes after we left. Another stroke of luck for the Dando/Nicoletta party. We sat in the middle of a busy street, surrounded by what other than....graffiti. Despite our desolate surroundings, we had a very delicious lunch of fresh salami, an Italian baguette, and juicy fresh fruit. I am convinced that the fruit here is the best in the world. That or fruit in America stinks.

After our picnic lunch, we dropped our backpacks at the Casa Bianco and forged our way into Rome. With a full stomach and 50lbs lighter without my backpack, my Rome experience took a turn for the best. First stop: Spanish steps. For the first time on the trip, I was glad to see so many people in one spot. I was beginning to believe the people for Rome all left. We meandered around for a couple hours taking in the city. I cannot quite put my finger on what it is about Rome that I like so much. Nonetheless, I like it. Maybe it is knowing that so much has happened on the ground beneath me. Maybe it is turning any unsuspecting corner to see a 1000 year old ruin.

We joined the Italians in the Siesta late afternoon, showered, and headed out for dinner. I can't say dinner was all that impressive but dessert sure was. A glass of wine and a bowl of "fragoli" and gelato while watching the streets of Rome. ...SIGH... :)

No comments: