Friday, March 17, 2006

Not a whole lot happening around here. The strike is still going strong and there is rumor of extending the semester into July due to the now 3 weeks of missed class. In the mean time I have been perfecting the art of doing nothing and not going stir crazy...you laugh but it's difficult. I sleep in, have breakfast and listen to the radio, then slowly wander through the markets and revel at all the wonderful french delicacies. I return chez moi and check email then have a little lunch. By this time it's 2ish and I pack my books and head into town, installing myself in either a park or a cafe and read until I am antsy or hungry then take an hour walk in whatever direction my legs carry me. This is where things can get crazy. After the walk I can either reinstall myself at a cafe with a glass of wine instead of coffee, with a friend or alone. Or, if there is an activity at the Mejane or o movie I want to see, this is when it happens. You see all the options in that last part? It gets a little stressful sometimes. Finally, somehow I end up talking with someone until about 1am when I go to bed and rejuvinate myself for another busy day.

In all this sitting and observing I have noticed that the French and Europeans in general have got an amazing knack for conversation. I realize that in an effort to streamline myself and be as efficient as possible in order to profit from my busy scheduele in Chicago, I have lost the ability to sit for hours with someone and never have a silent, akward moment. It is really impressive to see the cafes in action. Sometimes the topics are serious, sometimes superficial but it is always something, moving flawlessly between a million ideas. It took someone pointing this out to me for me to realize how boring I can be. When asked "how do you like Aix" I answered politely and briefly so as to not sound arrogant or over opinionated. This french gentleman sat staring at me waiting for more and I had nothing to say. He then said "yes, that seems very Americian. Talking too much is a bad thing because there isn't time for it." I thought about this and I realized that my answer to his question could have been quite long but indeed I didn't want to talk too much. So in the name of anti-efficiency and French cafes, I strive to be long winded and take pleasure in other long windeds.

In other news, the strikers have begun to take over the city. They play dead on the steps of the town hall or wave their flags in the middle of the Rotonde blocking rush hour traffic. They take a break and at about 10:30 they get a second wind from all the beer they drank and attempt to wave their flags and shout again. Looks like everyone is having a good time here in Aix.

PS Fuller: I was calling to talk to you sir! I will give you another try today or tomorrow. Can't wait to see how you've been. Ciao

No comments: