Tuesday, July 27, 2004

Today began our sojourn into France. I don't know quite what to say except that I must be dreaming. All day I can't help but look at Dan and giggle..That we are in Paris. The one and only, Paris. Despite Dan's efforts to be modest, his French is incredible. He was complimented today by a French man on his accent. I would be drownding in the Seine if I were alone.  Not only has Dan's vast French experience been well appreciated, but his company is irreplaceable.

There is a reason Paris is Paris. It is not tourist hype. Although some is. There is an air about this city that is unexplainable except to say that I don't know why everyone that visits this place does not decide to move here immediately. I have contemplated exactly how many heart attacks my mother would have if I decided to stay here. (just kidding mom)

I have picked up a few French words. It seems, though, that if you lived here you would pick up the language very quickly. At least enough to get around. I had the best sandwiches I have ever had, and probably will every have, today. I won't even attempt to explain the ecstasy of the culinary delight.

As we were walking through the streets on yet another attempt to get lost in an exotic city, we stopped to have gelato at an alley shop packed with locals. The lines do not lie. Very good. After a nice glass of wine, here I sit, recording my dream-like day. Then it's off to bed for an early start tomorrow, 7am.  I hope everyone's summer is going well. I miss you. Goodnight.


1 comment:

J and J said...

Bon Matin, Nicki! I'm wondering what French words you've picked up?? And I also am nervous that you love the city and you don't want to leave. That means its going to be even harder for me to leave! Enjoy all of the city and the sights! This is only the beginning of the journey!

Wildflower has been fun so far. The hostess part is a lot of fun. I stood outside the other night (the weather here has been gorgeous) and got to talk to a bunch of people.

I'm thinking about you! Be safe and keep an eye out for Johnny Depp!