Sunday, December 02, 2007

Bzzaf news

Here it is December and I have failed to write in over 2 months. My only excuse is that I have been desperately learning Arabic, overcoming my bafflement, and starting a new job. The short of the long is that I have been (in no particular order) between Fes, Sefrou, Ben Ahmed, and Mrirt all the while having language and technical training. The reality of it is that I have spent the last 2 months hanging out with some extraordinarily interesting PC trainees, volunteers and Moroccans just generally having a good time. You see, this is the beauty of being a PCV: if you pass a whole day without doing anything that would be defined as “productive” in the American sense of the word, but you managed to mail a letter or get an important point across in Arabic, you have had a successful day. Other “productive” projects include drinking tea (if with another Moroccan or if had with cross cultural conversation), attending sessions regarding Moroccan politics, education and religion, and learning the ins and outs of bike maintenance (included with this activity is a well stocked, customized tool kit). If, for any reason, I should need medicinal, linguistic, or general support, there is an outstanding team of people with cell phones in pocket just waiting for my call. The support, thus far, has been unsurpassable.

A large part of these first three months is building relationships with the staff and the fellow volunteers in my stage. There are only three times during my service that we will all be together. One of them was the last three months. We meet again in 6 months and then again on our way out. Most of us came to the Peace Corps with an appetite for solitude and distance from everything and anyone American. We were all surprised to find how enjoyable these last three months were, in close proximity to upwards of 30 other Americans. We are like-minded in our expatriation but our specialties range from politics and business to the arts and women’s development. Our discussions are diverse and very well informed. When we are not in class, on the road or in the community, we keep ourselves warm with heated conversations and tea. Several of us have started a long distance book club that will reconvene for discussion in six months. Our first book is War and Peace.

There are five of us who have taken particularly well to each other: Ami, Adam, Pedja, Clark and myself. Inchala (God willing), we will be meeting up for a little Christmas celebration on the beach. I moved “home” on Tuesday and am certainly feeling the distance from the people I have taken comfort in. Fortunately, though, I was well forewarned of the shocking disparity between training and the beginning of service. I have equipped myself with books (War and Peace ought to last awhile), yoga, and writing to ease the transition. So far, so good. The people here are incredibly welcoming and I look forward to working my way into a comfortable life here.

In other news, I was elected “Volunteer Advisory Committee” representative for my stage. I will act as the liaison between the Peace Corps staff and the twenty-seven volunteers I swore in with. I will have the opportunity to travel several times a year for meetings, among other unforeseen possibilities, and work intimately with my programming staff and country director.

We finished language and technical training on Saturday, Sunday was our day off, and Monday was the big day: swearing in. We woke up early and put on our one clean, business casual outfit that has been sitting in the bottle of our suitcase for 3 months, and hopped on buses that took us to the most upscale hotel in town. It is the quintessential, colonial Morocco setting, complete with waterfalls and Moroccan style cabanas. Many of our host families were able to join us. Also among the crowd were several high level Moroccan officials, the US ambassador to Morocco, and, of course, all in country PC staff. Our language training has been split between three different languages; each of which was represented by a speech given by the volunteer who has shown most progress in their respective language. All other announcements and speeches were translated multilingually. It was a phenomenal experience to be a part of something so intensely cross-cultural. Finally, we gallantly raised our right hands and pledged our commitment to ourselves, the Peace Corps and, most importantly, to the people of Morocco. This lovely affair was followed by a delicious meal and charming conversation. Much of the food disappeared into host family handbags and only Americans conceded the concept of a line for pictures with the ambassador. A good time was had by all and now it is time to get to work!

It hardly feels like the holidays here but I listen to Christmas music and think of you all often.

Mrs H., Dad and Clara, You may never know how comforting it is to receive your letters. Shukran Bzzaff!

Mrs. H - Do give the whole family a hug on my behalf.

No comments: