Monday, September 17, 2007

Fes encore - enshala

Today was an incredible day. A group of us stumbled our way to the “mdina” with small widgets of Arabic and a keen sense for adventure. Alas, we ended up with a guide despite our commitment to avoid such a cost. We weaved in and out of quiet to clamorous and ended on the roof of a building looking down on a tannery. While it is a sight I have seen before, I felt much more cognizant than 2 short years ago. I suppose drinking local tap water somehow makes me feel more “branche.” A friend was charmed by a snake, I bought a hijab and we all just short of died of thirst. It is Ramadan and drinking or eating in public is a major faux pas since any good Muslim is fasting.

We eat 4 meals a day. At night we get a baggy of “breakfast” so anyone fasting can eat at 5am at the call to prayer (before sunrise) or eat when they wake up for those who are not. Lunch is prepared for those who are not fasting (myself included.) At around 6:45 there is the 4th of 5 calls to prayer. At this time there is a meal called the “break fast.” We join to eat a special meal to celebrate breaking the day’s fasting. There is a soup of sorts (lentil, carrot, or chick pea thus far) special bread, pastries, dates and, of course, tea. Finally, after the final call to prayer at 10, there is the official dinner. I have made a habit of skipping this since 3 meals serves me well and I am usually sleeping by 10. As you can see, the call to prayer is a sort of public school bell system, at least throughout Ramadan.

The language lessons are amazing. Volunteering for 2 years is worth its time in language (among many other wonderful things) and I praise Allah every day for speaking French. If I were to stay in Fes (which I will surely not) I could comfortably go 2 years without Arabic, for French is enough. I bargained down a hijab 50 dirhams, in French, and helped a friend from being scammed, L-Hamdullah for French. So, besides some slight stomachal adjustments, things are still wonderful. Cell phone is soon to arrive.

New photos @ web.mac.com/nicolettaanderson

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to hear things are going so well, especially the language. By the way, I received your postcard from Philadelphia.

Anonymous said...

hi nico! i am jealous already!!!! Im glad your rockin out the mo-roc-o (haha...okay just kiddin') anyways, thanks for the baby tattoo postcard it is awesome and at home on my fridge. had a great weekend thus far...headed to idaho for a day trip and was treated to a yummy indian dinner! the pics look great! keep em coming...love ya and miss ya mucho!
GROS BIS
Adriana

Anonymous said...

Hey Nicole!!

Sorry to be so lousy about keeping in touch, but Waldorf school is back in full swing and bagels with cream cheese beckon. I'm up to speed on your travels (thanks, blog!), and am excited that you're having such a good time. Things are going well in Chicago, we've got a bunch of new charismatic folks at Newleaf who like to drink less, so my liver is very thankful!

Looking forward to the next update.

Steve-o